DEFINE DISTRICT FORUM? EXPLAIN ITS FEATURES?
Meaning: -A Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, to be known as the District Forum, established by the State Government in each district of the State as per the Consumer Protection Act 1986.
Features of District Forum:
1. Composition of District Forum: -A District Forum has to consist of:
a. A person who is or has been or is qualified to be a District Judge, to be nominated by the State Government, to be its President.
b. Two other persons of eminence, in the field of education, trade, or commerce one of whom shall be woman.
2. Term of Office: -Members of the District Forum hold office for a term of 5 years or upto the age of 65 years whichever is earlier and are not eligible for re-appointment. In other words, the maximum period of membership of the forum is 5 years.
3. Salary: -The State Government drafts rules regarding salary or honorarium and other allowances payable to members and also the terms and conditions of their service.
4. Jurisdiction of District Forum: -As per the latest amendments, the District Forum has the jurisdiction to entertain complaints, where the value of goods or services and the compensation, if any, claimed does not exceed Rupees five Lakh.
5. Number: -There are a number of District Forums in Maharashtra eg, In Mumbai, Pune, Ahmednagar, Aurangabad, Nagpur, Nasik, Ratnagiri, Satara, Sholapur, Sangli etc.
In Mumbai, the District Forum has 3 offices, at Dadar, Worli and C.S.T.